Friday, October 30, 2015

WHITE IS NORTHERN EUROPEAN: "I'm white in Barcelona but in Los Angeles I'm Hispanic?" | Public Radio International

In my opinion,a "whire" person in the USA is really an ethnic category combined with skin color. It refers primarily to those of anglo-saxon caucasian descent from northern europe (ie nrtherlands,poland,belgium,england,etc). It is a carry-over from earlier days when race & skin color was much more "absolute".It should not be considered anything more or less than this simple definition.

"...
Since coming here, I've asked myself this question
many times: Why is it so difficult for some in this
country to understand that Hispanics are a
multiracial community and that there are also white
Hispanics, as well as black Hispanics or Asian
Hispanics...."

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-10-28/im-white-barcelona-los-angeles-im-hispanic